Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Friday, June 25, 2004

The orthopedic doc says biking is OK

But he also said to check with the neurologist!



Ah, the first followup appointment at Mass General Hospital was this morning...

Today was my scheduled appointment with orthopedics. I had to ask the doc if we'd met before since my hospital memories aren't too clear. He apparently saw me for all of three minutes when I first entered MGH after my crash. We talked a bit about the crash - I told him that although I have no memories of the crash, based on the state of my bike and my head my assumption is that I flipped forward, taking the bike with me and landing on my head. He agreed based on the injuries that I had. He told me he knew someone who took what apparently was the same type of crash as I did - but the person he knew hit his head in such a way that he died within a couple of hours - even though he was wearing a helmet. I've thought that I was lucky all along. Yes, I had some pretty bad injuries - including broken bones around my right eye, a fractured skull, bleeding in my brain (the side opposite all of the broken bones), a broken rib, and a broken pelvis, but luckily for me they were surviveable. I still believe that if I hadn't been wearing a helmet I would definitely be dead. It could have happened anyway.

He took the opportunity while we were talking about biking accidents to warn me that depression is often a side effect of accidents like mine, telling me not to hesitate to seek the help if depression came my way. I'll keep that in mind, but for now I think I'm OK.

The doc asked if I wanted to see the cat scan of my pelvis, and of course I did. He showed me the broken bone, which no longer has any semblance of being straight. But when I asked him if that would cause a problem he said no. Pain, maybe, but a long-term problem no - even though he told me to expect some level of annoyance from the bone, maybe forever. I asked him if I had any remaining restrictions because of the fracture, and he asked me what I'd been doing. I've only been walking - and more slowly than normal for me - but I've been getting out 2 to 3 times a day for 20 to 30 minutes each time. He laughed, said no restrictions, and told me that as far as he's concerned I can get back on the bike now - even though he warned me that I would likely notice the pelvic injury - but that I should wait and check with the neurologist first. I have a head CT today, and an appointment with the neurosurgeon next Thursday - hopefully I can start riding soon.

But even I'm not crazy enough to think I can start at the same distance I was riding pre-accident!


Wow - if you don't look too closely I'm getting closer to a normal look. But then again, those red areas are apparently still going to be with me for a while...