Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Saturday, June 5, 2004

Biker chick says it's time to ride

...but I know better

A new stuffed animal joined my small menagerie when I was in the hospital. Since I carry a small red dog called Rover with me on my tours, my friend Steve thought I needed a bigger version of Rover to help me deal with the hospital. Well, this bigger dog decided that she didn't want to be called Rover, and she told me her name is Biker Chick. She also has been telling me since the beginning that she wants to go biking. I've given her free rein of the bikes and told her that she can't ride my Pocket Rocket right now because it still needs to be fixed - but she can choose either of my touring bikes as her first ride.



And no, it's not time to ride yet. I'm home from the hospital and I'm walking as much as I can. While there are times that I think I could ride a bike (and it's frustrating not to be riding in this beautiful weather), I also know that it's too early. My heart says to ride, but my head tells me not to do anything that could set my progress back.