Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Thursday, June 24, 2004

The apparent state of my bike, and...

What else is missing or not in reasonable shape? Helmet, shorts, shirt...

The bike definitely needs some fixing, but to be honest I suspect it's in better shape than I am...

It has a flat front tire, the front wheel is no longer really round, and the brake/shift levers are not where they belong and have some pieces missing.

When I first examined the bike I couldn't really bend down at all. Not smart, since I was also trying to clean it in preparation for taking it to the shop. You might think that's crazy, but I know it is appreciated, and I always make sure that my bike is clean when I take it in... Anyway, I really had to put the bike back as it was and go back to it another day to clean it up!



Hmmm... It took me several days at home before I realized that I hadn't seen everything I was wearing on the day of the crash.

I have my helmet, with two cracks in the lining material, a dent on the outside, straps that were cut to remove it, and blood coating the right side.

I have my shoes, my gloves, and my sunglasses - and all seem to be none the worse for wear. I honestly can't figure out the sunglasses being in one piece and having lenses that are not scratched since I clearly struck my head on the ground. And there's a mark on my nose (still, 5 weeks after the accident) that had to come from my glasses getting pushed into my face.

My shorts and knee warmers were cut off, and were given to me in pieces. My jersey, sports bra, wind vest, and arm warmers are all missing in action. That's a bit of a mystery to me - why was some of my stuff given to me and some thrown out? I have two guesses - either there were two different people (with different habits) cutting off my clothing, or there was blood on the stuff that wasn't given to me, and everything that was given to me was clean. But wait - there was blood all over my helmet, and they did return that to me. Oh well, it doesn't really matter since any clothing that was removed by cutting it off needs to be replaced anyway!

It's time to visit the bike shop, but I need to wait a bit until I can drive that distance without being too tired to drive home. And over course there's another danger too - getting all of the missing pieces will make me want to get back on my bike. I suppose I'd better wait until closer to when I will be allowed and able to ride again!