Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Saturday, July 3, 2004

My bike is calling, and

I know I should wait for the doc's OK, but... OK, OK, I'm listening to my bike!



Yes, you're right - this journal entry really is from the same day as the last one was...

And really - you can believe me - I had good intentions, and I was going to wait for an OK to ride from the neurosurgeon. But then my appointment was moved out two weeks. And I went to the bike shop and bought a new helmet. And I have bikes sitting in the garage just waiting to be ridden. And it's been just over six weeks since I was on a bike and I can't stand not riding any more!

My first ride was an after-dinner jaunt. I'm still eating very early because I'm trying to pay attention to my body. When it says eat, I eat. Very simple. So there was plenty of daylight left.

The puzzle of the day was to remember how to open the clips on my Sidi riding shoes. (You are laughing about that, right?) I have to admit it took me a minute - and now I think I know why the paramedics just pulled my shoes off without loosening them! No problem, the buckles are released, shoes on, buckles tightened, helmet on, ready to go...

It was a 13 mile ride at just under 13 miles an hour. And who said that 13 isn't a lucky number? By my mind it is very lucky! The fact that I haven't been riding was definitely noticeable on uphills, but I wasn't trying to break any speed records, just to have a nice casual ride. Amazingly enough, I didn't feel any pain at all from that previously broken pelvic bone. I notice it when I do a long walk, but I didn't notice anything while I was biking. There was a little twinge afterward, but nothing bad.

I started out by riding the same road that I rode the fateful morning of May 20th. And I have to tell you, I didn't see anything wrong with the road surface. That is, nothing other than is normally wrong. There are cracks in the road surface, and there's an occasional bump, but nothing that stood out. I guess I'll just have to believe that it was bad luck and that there was something in the road that I hit or that I somehow got my front tire caught in a crack unexpectedly. I'll never know - so maybe it's time to make something up! Not really - I'll just accept that I don't know the cause of my stellar crash, and I'll trust that it won't happen again.


A very happy cyclist after my first ride in just over six weeks! Yes, there are still red spots on my face that have nothing to do with sweat and exercise. And yes, this is my new helmet, and yes, I did adjust the strap near my ear and there is not a gap there anymore!