Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Thursday, July 1, 2004

I was hoping for permission to ride

What do you mean my appointment is canceled?

I was supposed to have an appointment with a neurosurgeon at Mass General this morning. It's quite possible I met him while I was in the hospital but there's no memory of our meeting. I say supposed to because his office called - luckily before I set out for Boston - to cancel the appointment. Multiple emergency surgeries. OK, that's probably the right priority, but at the time of the cancellation the admin told me she'd call back later to reschedule because she had to do all of the cancellations first. Wait - isn't it the same appointment system to cancel one appointment and schedule another? Or do they have one damned silly computer system down there?

When the admin told me the new appointment would probably be in 2 to 3 weeks, I asked her if there was anything she could do about that. Because I was civil and polite and didn't (really) give her a hard time, she said she'd try for an earlier appointment. I'm still waiting to hear... and I'm getting impatient. This is the doc I need to talk with about starting to ride again. I'm walking, but I want to be riding. If that appointment is another 3 weeks out - well do you want to take bets on whether I'll be attempting to ride before getting the official OK?

Update on July 2nd: The doc's admin just called and told me my new appointment is on July 15th. Two weeks out. That's not unexpected, but it is disappointing. The big question in my mind still remains - will I have enough control to wait for the doc's OK before attempting to ride my bike?

I do have at least one important thing (on my own list, that is - who knows what the doc will want?) to do before I hop back on a bike, and that is to buy a new helmet. That's on my weekend list of things to do, along with dropping my poor injured bike off at the bike shop for the much awaited repairs.