Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Is there a police report?

...and where is my bike?

Interesting.

My friend Steve - I think at the partial instigation of my sister and brother - attempted to find the official record of what happened. It turns out that because there was only a bicycle involved that there was no police report.

There was an ambulance report at the North Andover Fire Department - but it could not be released to anyone but me. After I returned home I drove over to the Fire Department and presented my identification. I was told I would get a phone call when the report was located (hmmm, doesn't it seem like they could have just pulled it out of a file drawer or printed it from a computer?), and then I could either go pick it up or they could put it in the mail. I got a phone call later that day to let me know that the report was ready but I opted to wait until the next morning to head back out to the Fire Department office and pick it up since I was still getting very tired with very little effort. The next morning, the ambulance report was in my hands. It still didn't shed any light on how my crash had occurred, but it did fill in some gaps in my memory.

My bike? My neighbor Paul knows folks in the North Andover police department. He went there to try to retrieve the bike for me, and found that it was actually held by the State Police - the folks who apparently handled the accident scene. He wrote them a letter, then went down in person. He managed to convince them that it was a good idea to release my bike to him - so I was able to see my somewhat injured bicycle when I returned home.