Denise Goldberg's blog

What do you mean I can't ride my bike?
The journey back --- from crash to recovery

Monday, August 2, 2004

A hot & windy weekend

...made just for riding!

I'm still trying. I'm still riding. But maybe I'm finally accepting my slower pace and shorter rides. OK, I say I'm accepting it, but somehow I forget that acceptance in my next breath!

I rode 22 miles on Saturday, and 23 miles on Sunday. I'm still not making progress on increasing my mileage - but at least I'm riding! I've started doing a couple of overlapping loops - just so I know I'm not too far from home if I get to a point where I need to stop. It's an interesting exercise... I'm riding in areas that I typically ride in early season - at this time of the season I'm usually doing rides that are much more far-reaching. To keep from getting bored, I'm doing pieces of rides in the opposite direction than I usually ride them (tell me, how is it that habit keeps me from reversing direction more often?), and I'm wandering down streets I've never ridden before. As in - the road I was planning to take is under construction - I wonder where this other road ends up. So far my mystery roads have not taken me too far off my desired path, and I've discovered some nice riding roads in the process.

It feels great to be out on a bike - now all I have to do is figure out how to get back to the shape I was in before. And the funny thing is, I think I have to say it's not under my total control. That is, I believe it's under the control of my brain, but not any part that I can influence!

I realized today that there is one pain that seems to be gone, although it won't surprise me too much if it pops back up again when I start riding longer distances. Once that broken pelvic bone healed, I was still left with some pain, especially if I overdid the walking. I was warned that biking (or should I say sitting on a bike seat) would probably bother me - but it never did. And hopefully I won't jinx myself by saying that the pain has disappeared. Now if only my energy levels and abilty to bike long distances would return...